Isaac Mizrahi's book "How to Have Style" shares the designer's secrets for a great wardrobe. Here are five tips Isaac shared with me – they're terrific!
1. Don't dress in a way that hides your best features. Try this: Get naked in front of a mirror. What do you love about your body? If it's your legs, wear the highest heels you can for a week. If it's your tiny waist, accentuate it with a belt every day. If you've got it, show it.
2. Try on any new clothing purchases as soon as you get home. It's sometimes hard to make the right call in a tiny dressing room with poor lighting. Do your new things look good at home? If not, you'll know. Take them back right away if they don't work.
3. Know when a particular style doesn't work for you and pass on it. Sometimes a look is just wrong for you, especially when it comes to the trendy look of the season. Confidence and knowing what's right for you is 95 percent of style.
4. Don't wait for an invitation to buy an evening dress. When you see something you love, buy it!
5. Knowing when to splurge is an art. There are just two rules: Splurge on the most classic item in the world. You will have and cherish it forever. Splurge on the most insane thing in the world. You will have and cherish it forever.